Craving cheesecake but need something a bit lighter? Try my gluten free cheesecake pastry puffs! Flakey layers of buttery pastry with creamy cheesecake. Top these off with a savory or sweet kick!
My husband is not a sweets fan, but the man loves him some cheesecake! The problem with cheesecake is it’s so darn heavy. After a huge meal, I want something light and fluffy. Can you tell I’m a cake person? So I set out to marry those two desserts….Opposites attract right?
I came across Barbara Bakes blog and fell in love with her Easy Pate A Choux Recipe. I had known that many have mastered the cream puff, but I wanted cheesecake to make my husband, Mike happy. So I replaced my filling with our homemade cheesecake recipe! The outcome was divine! Trust me you’ll want to make these for your next gathering.
Then came the fun part, choosing the toppings. This recipe is meant to please a crowd so reach everyone by offering a savory option and a sweet option. Mike is more of the chocolate and caramel topped with nuts whereas I’m attracted to the sweetness of fresh jams and fruits. Why not create both?
GLUTEN FREE CHEESECAKE PASTRY PUFFS TWO WAYS
Savory. Mike, my husband is a lover of chocolate, caramel, and all kinds of nuts so for his pastry puffs I drizzled his with chocolate and caramel. Then, I sprinkled the warm chocolate and caramel with chopped nuts.
Sweet. I am a lover of sweet fruity flavors. For this, I love to use Bonne Maman’s fresh fruit preserves. Here I used her fresh strawberry preserves as a second layer under my cheesecake. Then I sprinkled confectioner’s sugar on top.
WHAT DO I MAKE FIRST?
- Make your cheesecake. You’ll need time to let your cheesecake cool so I always make mine first. Then, once it’s cooled I scoop my cheesecake into a piping bag and wait for my pastry puffs to cook. I’ve included my all-time favorite homemade cheesecake recipe below!
- Make your pastry puffs. I followed Barbara’s Easy Pate A Choux recipe for mine, but substituted Krusteaz Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour.
- For your chocolate topping, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 seconds intervals, stirring between each turn to ensure your chocolate does not seize. Then, use an appetizer spoon to drizzle over the top.
- For your jam filling, place some in a small bowl and soften with a fork.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS GLUTEN FREE DESSERT
- Let your pasty puffs cool completely. Don’t rush this step or you’ll end up with melted cheesecake!
- Cook your cheesecake in a water bath. This step is not known by the amateur baker. To be honest, I didn’t know about it until recently, but what a difference it makes! A water bath is a cooking process of setting your pan in 1 inch of water (I use a large roasting pan and set my pyrex pan inside) and place both pans in the oven for the allotted cooking time. The water encourages an even bake of your cheesecake and the added moisture wards off cracks!
- When melting your chocolate, microwave your chips in 30-second intervals. Stir between each heating to ensure your chocolate doesn’t seize. Oftentimes, I will stop heating with I still have a few chips left that haven’t melted. I will stir and the heat for the surrounding chocolate with melt those little stubborn ones!
- 3 8 oz. packages of Cream Cheese, soft
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until cheese if fluffy.
- Add cup of sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add each egg separately. Ensure that each egg is blended well before adding the next one.
- Stir in your vanilla extract with a spoon.
- Pour your cheesecake mixture into an 8x8 pyrex pan.
- Set your pan inside a large roasting pan. Fill with water until water reaches an inch up the side of the pyrex pan.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Once timer goes off, turn heat off and crack oven door for 10 minutes to allow the change in temperature to be gradual
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. Then, you're free to fill your piping bag.
This gluten free cheesecake filling is only a portion of my homemade classic cheesecake!
LOVE THIS RECIPE, PIN IT!
If you enjoy this Gluten Free Cheesecake Pasty Puff dessert, please let me know! If you share it, you can tag me @the.handwrittenhome on INSTAGRAM! I know your family and friends will just love this recipe!
WANT MORE DESSERT IDEAS?
My friends are sharing some delicious recipes here!