I love making this childhood classic gluten free chicken noodle soup for my family on chilly nights.Packed with chicken, vegetables and a rich, comforting broth, this soup is sure to warm you up!
I often get asked how do we manage creating meals that fit with all our dietary needs and restrictions. From an outsider, it can seem daunting, but it has become second nature to cook our meals from scratch every time. Eating whole foods is important to our family and I feel good knowing we are supporting our bodies with healthy foods.
In our household we have several food allergies and intolerances that we have to consider when making a meal. My son, Britton has life threatening allergies to all nuts, seeds and shellfish. This is the most important, but honestly the easiest to cater to. My daughter and I have several intolerances of gluten, dairy, and corn which we’ve learned how to adapt recipes and made lifestyle changes to avoid foods that may cause distress.
One of the many recipes that I have created is this gluten free chicken noodle soup. Chicken noodle soup has a bit of nostalgia to it and always gives me a sense of home. It is perfect for chilly nights. Serve it with a grilled sandwich or dip gluten-free artisan bread into it and instantly you are taken back to memories of your childhood.
SO HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP GLUTEN FREE?
- Consider your ingredients and make easy swaps. Instead of using wheat noodles or egg noodles, opt for brown rice penne or Asian rice noodles. This is an easy switch that won’t change your flavor.
- Check your spices. Be careful of some store-bought spices. Some have hidden additives that may contain gluten. In most cases, they’re added to prevent clumping and I typically find them in spice mixtures instead of specified spices.
- Find alternatives. Instead of serving with Ritz crackers, opt for rice crackers or Nut Thins. If you are serving in a bread bowl, consider a gluten-free sourdough bread or gluten-free artisan bread that has been made with rice flour or tapioca flour.
GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP TIPS
- When cooking a soup recipe that requires chicken, season and sauté your chicken before adding all other ingredients. This allows the edges of the chicken to become crispy which holds in the moisture so the chicken does not become dried out while cooking the soup.
- For extra gut-health, swap your chicken stock for bone broth. You can make your own or purchase bone broth in the same aisle as the chicken stock at your local grocery store.
- Rice noodles as extremely absorbent. When making soup recipes with rice noodles, add them ten minutes prior to serving. If you prefer to have a greater ratio of broth: noodles, strain your noodles out of your soup when storing.
- This recipe makes extra. You can always freeze the portion you do not eat. I love to use Souper Cubes for this.
ARE THERE OTHER VEGETABLES I CAN INCLUDE?
Of course! In this gluten free chicken noodle soup recipe, I included carrots, yellow onion, and sweet peas. However, there are loads of ingredients that can be added or even swapped. I love adding celery to soups or stews, it adds a nice flavor. If you are wanting a heartier soup, add in cut green beans and diced potatoes, too.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
Measuring Cups & Spoons
PREPARING YOUR INGRIEDENTS
Season your chicken breasts first. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Season your chicken with garlic salt and ground pepper to taste. I prefer using my hands to rub the spices into the meat.
If using whole carrots and celery, chop the celery and either slice or julienne your carrots.
Chop your onion.
1 lb. Chicken Breasts. I like to use Chicken tenderloins so it is easier to shred in the end.
1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped.
1 cup Carrots. I prefer carrot chips, but any carrot will do.
3/4 cup Green Peas.
1 package of White Rice Noodles. I love Wegman’s Brand Rice Noodles.
4 cups Chicken Broth
6 cups Water
1 tsp Turmeric
2 Whole Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes. This is completely to taste. Our family enjoys a spicy kick with this soup, but you can use less if that is not your family’s preference.
Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley. You can substitute dried Parsley, if you don’t have fresh on hand.
1Tbsp minced garlic, dried or fresh.
HOW TO MAKE MY GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
STEP 1: COOKING YOUR CHICKEN
Heat 2 TBSP of olive oil in your stock pot. Add seasoned chicken breasts to the pot. Saute chicken until it is golden brown on the outside.
STEP 2: COOKING YOUR VEGETABLES
Add your onion to the cooked chicken, saute until translucent.
Add remainder of vegetables, except green peas. Allow vegetables to brown a bit on medium for 3-5 minutes.
STEP 3: CREATING YOUR BROTH
Add in your chicken broth and water. Season your soup with garlic salt, ground pepper, red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic, fresh parsley, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a boil, then cover and turn down to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
STEP 4: ADDING YOUR NOODLES
Twenty minutes before serving, add your peas and your rice noodles.
FIND MORE OF OUR FAMILY’S FAVORITE RECIPES
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT, I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO GIVE IT 5 STARS! TAG ME ON INSTRAGAM @the.handwrittenhome WITH YOUR DELICIOUS CREATION!