A new year always has me thinking about my health goals and getting back to healthy eating. We’re a gluten free household, but that doesn’t mean we always stay away from gluten-free baked goods, especially through the holidays.
This post contains affiliate links which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you when you shop through my links.
One goal is to strive to eat as many whole foods as possible and minimize the amount of processed food we consume. This ham and potato soup recipe is one of my family’s favorites to make for a quick and healthy meal any day of the week.
A spin on classic comfort food this recipe is packed with veggies and protein while being gluten free! I’m sure you’ll be adding it to your weekly menu all through the winter!
This recipe makes about 10-12 servings and easily comes together in under an hour. I recommend doubling the ingredients to store a few easy meals away in the freezer for those busy weeknights.
To make meal prepping easier, I’ve been enjoying Mike’s new chopper he received for Christmas. This kitchen helper has 7 different blades, from an onion chopper to a dicer, it seriously makes quick work of the vegetables and ham in this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND POTATO SOUP
|Serving Size:||Cook Time:||Difficulty:|
|10-12 people||30 minute prep, 30 minute+ Simmer||Easy|
2 Tbsp Butter, or Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Onion, diced
3 Medium Carrots, peeled and sliced.
1 8oz. Ham Steak, cubed
1 Cup Celery, sliced
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
4 Cups Yellow Potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Cups Water
1 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
Cracked Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Optional: 1/2 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
- Prepare your ingredients. Peel, chop, and slice your vegetables and ham.
- Saute the chopped onion and carrots in a large stock pot. Once the onion is translucent, add the cubed ham, minced garlic, and potatoes to the pot. Saute together for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper are to taste, but be careful with the amount of salt you add. The ham will naturally add salt to the soup.
- Puree to add creaminess. Extract 1 cup of potatoes, carrots, and celery from the soup, draining excess liquid. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables. Return them to the stock pot and mix well. This will give the soup a creamy texture without the use of dairy or flour.
- If you’re adding the optional parmesan cheese, do so now.
- Cover and simmer. Turn the soup down to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
SOUP NIGHT ACCESSORIES
Explore a few of my favorite kitchenware items
Lastly, if you try this gluten free ham and potato soup recipe be sure to leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @the.handwrittenhome! I just love seeing the pictures you guys share of my recipes!